Monday, April 27, 2015

I Wish I Had Breast Cancer

Pancreatic Cancer is a killer, there’s no doubt about it.  As a Breast Cancer survivor I have to admit I was unaware of the staggering statistics this killer brings with it.  Recently The Pancreatic Cancer Action launched a new campaign “I Wish I Had Breast Cancer”.   Shocked?  I was too.  I had to sit with this before I could even think to blog about it.  I don’t know everything in the world of cancer but my survival makes me somewhat of an expert.  In my world if you had to cut off a body part and or have chemo you’re an expert too.  I understand the desperation that this ad brings to the table and you Pancreatic Cancer Action have my attention.  That being said I don’t agree with the platform you chose to run your campaign on.  Not every woman diagnosed with Breast Cancer survives and some women are living with State 4 Breast Cancer right now trying to make the most of their time left.  Knowing how terrible any cancer is you should be happy for anyone that has a chance of survival or happy someone has time to say goodbye properly.  What you did was throw these women under the bus with complete disregard for their feelings and an utter lack of respect for anyone ever diagnosed with Breast Cancer and their families.  I don’t think we should sensationalize any type of cancer period.  We must work together to bring awareness to Pancreatic Cancer and I will be the first on board to volunteer to help you free of charge in a any way I can.   I want a world without any type of cancer the same as you do.  I want everyone diagnosed with any type of cancer to have a chance … but that’s not life … nor is it reality.    Reality is, far too many people will lose their lives to cancer this year, next year and the year after that.  Let’s work together to change the world of cancer.   Certainly we have enough in common as survivors to co-exsist peacefully on this planet and make the journey easier for those walking after us.  Don’t you think?
Outrage: The 'cancer envy' campaign was devised by the charity Pancreatic Cancer Action to highlight the poor survival rates of the disease

No comments:

Post a Comment