Monday, April 27, 2015

Oncologist Appointment Part 1 And Yes Breast Cancer Sucks!

Oncologist Appointment Part 1 And Yes Breast Cancer Sucks!

The absolute worst appointment after my Breast Cancer diagnosis was for me the visit to the oncologist.  I was so anxiety ridden with fear and apprehension at the thought of having to listen one on one to what was about to happen to me.  Fear of the unknown at some point and time  plagues all of us and this was my time.  I can’t think of any instance in my life that I was more helpless.  From the beginning I had a bad feeling about the hospital I was at, I didn’t feel there was a smooth connection between the doctors.  I felt like a number and not a person however,  instead of saying stop I kept up with all of my appointments and pushed the bad feelings aside because I wanted this tumor out of my body and why waste more time? When I arrived at my first appointment my test results were not at the oncologist office so I couldn’t get the answers I  came for.   The nurse was so cold I thought I saw icicles hanging from her nostrils,  she could have cared less that I had cancer.  And the doctor?  He had the most annoying voice I have ever heard in my life, now I really hated him.  You don’t have my test results, your voice is annoying and your head nurse is a bitch, not such a great start seeing as how we are going to have a long relationship together.  If you have anticipation about your first visit to the oncologist this is perfectly understandable.  Bring a person of support with you to your appointment, they will help you filter your thoughts and what was actually said after the visit.  But the message I hope you walk away from this blog with is this,  spread the word to every woman you know when diagnosed with Breast Cancer you have choices and options on where and who will work on you.  This is a personal crusade of mine, to educate women.   As I continue to tell my story you will see how relevant this message is.

No comments:

Post a Comment